You seem to never run out of search engine optimization (SEO) tools these days. But not all are worth the time and money. Which ones are going to fit your needs and online marketing objectives?
This article lists all the best tips for choosing the best SEO software. Use this guide to find the tool that’s worth investing in.
Buy the Best SEO Software with These Tips
Avoid wasting time on SEO tools you don’t need or won’t meet your expectations. Pick the right ones with these tips:
1. Know Your SEO Goals
At first glance, many SEO tools seem to work the same way. But deep down, they can specialize in certain features. For example, some focus on competitor analysis while others help with keyword research.
That’s why before you even download a platform, determine your SEO objectives. This way, you can match the software’s primary features with what you hope to achieve.
SEO is done for a variety of reasons. You may want to increase brand awareness or improve your website’s visibility on the search engine results pages (SERPs). You could also be aiming to get more traffic and conversions.
Whatever the goal, make it specific, clear, and measurable. These ideas will help you figure it out:
- Know the past SEO performance. Gather historical data from your web analytics platform. The results will help identify areas that need improvement.
- Check your website’s SERP ranking. Use a keyword tracking tool to see where you currently stand for certain queries. You can also use this to measure progress over time.
- Identify business objectives. What are the company’s priorities? Do they want to increase online sales by 20% in the next quarter? Once you know what success is, it will be easier to find an SEO tool to help you.
- Determine what your competitors are doing. Use a competitor analysis tool to see what keywords they’re targeting and what type of content ranks best for them.
2. Consider the User Experience
SEO is so dynamic that rules and algorithms can change at any moment. So don’t waste time trying to learn how a platform works. Choose one that is easy to use.
The best tool provides an excellent user experience for you. This means that the software
- Has an easy-to-use and navigable interface
- Is well-designed and visually appealing
- Gives you access to the features you need with just a few clicks
- Organizes data intuitively and logically
- Helps you find information quickly
- Offers step-by-step tutorial, knowledge base, or a FAQ section
- Comes with a responsive customer support
Most platforms have a learning curve, especially if you’re a first-time user. However, it should not be so steep that you’re struggling to find your way around the software.
3. Compare Functionalities
Plenty of SEO tools come with bells and whistles. They are nice to have. But when choosing the best, Marina Turea of Digital Authority Partners recommends focusing on the essential functions and using them to compare your options.
Here are some key features to look for:
- Keyword Research. This is the ability to find profitable keywords your target audience is searching for. Ensure the tool provides detailed information such as monthly search volume, keyword difficulty, and SERP features.
- Competitor Analysis. See what strategies your competitors are using to rank in the SERP. The feature should also make it easy to track their progress over time.
- Website Audit. It checks for technical issues that could hinder your website from ranking higher. The software should provide a comprehensive report with actionable steps to fix the problem.
- Link Building. Find opportunities to get high-quality backlinks from authority websites. Ensure the platform offers features such as link monitoring and email alerts.
- Reporting and Analytics. Generate detailed reports on your SEO progress and return on investment (ROI). The platform should also allow you to customize and export the data into an easy-to-share format.
4. Determine the Pricing Structure
SEO software can be expensive, so find a platform that fits your budget. The good news is you have several choices in the market:
- Freemium. These are free to use but have limited features. They’re ideal for small businesses and solopreneurs just starting with SEO.
- Monthly Subscription. The most common type of pricing structure. You pay a monthly fee to access the software’s full range of features. The amount you pay will depend on the size of your business and the number of features you need.
- Pay Per Lead. In this model, you only pay when the software generates a new lead for your business. It could be in the form of a phone call, webinar signup, or online form submission.
- One-Time Purchase. You make a one-time payment to use the software. It is a good option if you have the budget and don’t mind missing out on new features and updates.
Many platforms are also scalable, which is ideal if you have a growing company. For example, you may add a few more dollars for extra leads, seats or team members, or features.
Further, most reputable SEO platforms offer a free trial. This way, you can test out the software before committing. This is a great way to see if it’s a good fit for your needs.
5. Consider Future Updates
The right SEO software should grow with you. Simply put, it needs to offer new features and updates to reflect your changing needs, industry trends, and Google’s algorithm.
Some software providers release new updates monthly, while others do it quarterly. Either way, ensure the platform you’re considering can keep up with the competition.
To determine this, look at their blog or social media accounts. Do they post regular updates? Are they active in the SEO community? These are all good signs that the software is being regularly updated.
You can also contact the customer support team and ask about their roadmap. It will give you an idea of what new features and updates are in the pipeline.
The right SEO tool can greatly impact your online marketing efforts. By following these tips, you can find a platform that fits your needs and budget.
If you are not ready to invest yet, look for a digital marketing agency that spends resources on the best platforms of the trade. The right firm has people who know how to maximize the features to get you the desired results.
SEO is a long-term strategy, and it will take time to see results. But with the right platform, you can progress faster and get a leg up on the competition.