What Is Affiliate Marketing And How To Make Money From Affiliates
Affiliate marketing is one of the most profitable ways to make money online that is very easy to do and free. Do you want to understand what Affiliate marketing is? Read on to learn everything about this popular passive income method.
In this article, we will share the basics of affiliate marketing and all the details you need to know to understand how affiliate marketing works.
What is affiliate marketing and the way does it work?
Affiliate marketing is one among the oldest sorts of marketing where you refer someone to a specific online product and when that person buys the merchandise through your recommendations, you will receive a commission. This commission varies from 5% to 100% counting on what product you’re promoting.
Here’s how affiliate marketing works in 4 simple steps:
- You joined an affiliate program
- You choose a product to promote (you will get a unique affiliate link that you will install on your blog or can be used to be promoted through other media)
- You share links through social media, blogs, YouTube videos, Facebook ads or other forms
- When someone makes a purchase, you will get an affiliate commission.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
So, with simple words:
Many online companies sell a variety of products such as Amazon or digital products such as hosting services, or other services, usually offering affiliate programs. All you have to do is sign up for the program and you will get a unique tracking link or URL. Now, every time you write about their product, you can use this special affiliate tracking link to recommend a specific company or product site to your visitors.
If your visitors click on the link and buy something on your referral site, then you will get a commission according to the agreement in the affiliate program that you follow.
Each affiliate program has a defined TOS. For example, many of them offer a 30 day cookie period and some even up to 60 days, and that means that if visitors visit the site you visited through your affiliate link, even if that day doesn’t buy directly and buys a week later, you will still be entitled Commission, as long as it’s still in the cookie period.
The term affiliate marketing
Here are some general terms related to affiliate marketing:
- Affiliates: Publishers like you and me who use affiliate program links to promote and make sales.
- Affiliate market: There are many markets such as Shareasale, CJ, and Clickbank. It functions as a central database for affiliate programs in several niches.
- Affiliate software: Software used by companies to create affiliate programs for their products.
- Affiliate link or URL: A special tracking link offered by the affiliate program that you follow to track your affiliate promotions.
- Affiliate ID: Similar to an affiliate link, but many affiliate programs offer a unique ID that you can add to any product site page.
- Payment methods: Different affiliate programs also offer different payment methods. Example: Check, Transfer, wire transfer, PayPal, and others.
- Affiliate Managers / OPM: Many companies have dedicated affiliate managers to help publishers get more by giving them optimization tips.
- Percentage commission / amount: The amount or percentage that you will receive in affiliate income from each sale.
- 2-tier affiliate marketing: This is a great way to make money from affiliate programs. With this method, you recommend others to hitch the affiliate program, and you receive a commission when sub-affiliates make sales (similar to MLM or multi-level marketing). This income is additionally referred to as a sub-affiliate commission.
- Landing pages: Unique product sales or demo pages are used for the purpose of increasing sales. Most of the programs that you will promote have many landing pages, and you can run an A / B test to see which pages work best for you.
- Custom affiliate income / accounts: Unlike general affiliate accounts, many companies offer special affiliate income to people who make the most affiliate sales for them.
- Link clocking: Most affiliate tracking links look unappealing and unreadable. By using URL shortening techniques, you can turn long and bad affiliate links into links that can be read and understood by your readers. Read: How to Change Affiliate URLs More Beautiful on WordPress.
- Special coupons: Many programs allow affiliates to create special coupons that are also used to track sales. Special discount coupons help you increase affiliate sales too.
For companies that offer affiliate programs, this is one of the best ways to receive free promotions, thereby saving a lot of advertising.
For example, every time you see a coupon or a discount link, most of the time this is an affiliate link, and when you make a purchase, the blog owner or webmaster earns money.
Questions About Affiliate Marketing
At this point, you must have a basic understanding of what affiliate marketing is and how it works.
Now, let me answer some common questions asked by some novice bloggers about affiliate marketing:
- what proportion money are you able to make as an affiliate marketer?
There are affiliate marketers who make many dollars a month through affiliate marketing and a few are still getting tens, or many dollars like me from Affiliate marketing.
The key here is how you promote these links to get sales. Do you use a blog or use PPC to market affiliate products. One that I have used from the past 3 years, is through blogging. This is the most effective so far and durable.
Although basically my income from affiliates is still very small and has not reached thousands of dollars, that is because what I offer is an external product, where to buy it must have PayPal (Complete Guide to Register PayPal) and payment in dollars, this is often certainly makes it difficult on behalf of me to form tons of cash from affiliates.
Another obstacle is Indonesia’s own interest in digital products such as web hosting services, WordPress themes, or WordPress plugins which are also very low, this is because there are still many Indonesian WordPress users who are looking for a free version. It really needs to be understood because indeed the average income of Indonesia’s population is still small.
- Is it important to possess a blog for affiliate promotion?
Not a must, but a blog is the best promotional tool. With that, you can always use methods like PPC or advertising to promote products. This is more like a hit-and-run affiliate marketing. The best way to take advantage of your affiliate marketing opportunities is to have a blog and use it for hard and soft promotions. Learn how to create a blog here.
- what proportion does it cost to hitch an affiliate program?
There are no fees to join the affiliate program, but your total costs depend on the promotional techniques you use. For example, a blog post does not cost a penny, but PPC marketing, email marketing, and advertising are equipped with various price tags.
- What qualifications do i want to become an affiliate marketer?
There are literally no qualifications needed to become an affiliate marketer, but having good copywriting skills and marketing skills will be a plus for you.
- Is affiliate marketing dangerous or illegal?
No, it is not dangerous or illegal, because you will only use the affiliate link provided to you rather than a direct link to link to the affiliate program provider site.
- How do you find an affiliate link?
Of course, not all companies offer affiliate programs, but for those who offer affiliate programs, you can check their website for information about affiliates or most of them put affiliate menus in the footer section of their websites.
Another way to seek out this information is to try to to an easy Google search. This will take you to the landing page. Many companies use affiliate markets such as ShareASale, Impact radius, or Clickbank. It’s free to use and you can create a free account. But for blogs with Indonesian, it still seems like it can’t yet unless there are specific recommendations.
- How does one find new products to promote?
The affiliate market as mentioned above is the best place to start your affiliate marketing research. You can browse niche markets and see the best-performing affiliate programs.
Or, you can monitor blogs in your niche and see which products they promote and what methods they use.
- Affiliate program and AdSense: Can we use both?
Yes, you’ll use both because affiliate marketing doesn’t violate any AdSense TOS. In fact, for me, affiliate marketing works better than Adsense, and that is one of the reasons why I also advise new bloggers not to focus too much on AdSense.
- How do I start an affiliate program?
First look for the product that you are going to offer or run as an affiliate program, then you can create a blog that reviews about the product. Write the best product reviews possible to get a good ranking in the search engine, if you have already won in the search engine then the money will flow into your pocket.
I hope this beginner’s guide to affiliate marketing will help you succeed in running a business and making money from affiliate programs. Good luck