What is a Domain? Should I Buy It?
Definition of a domain – Have you ever wondered, what is a domain? What is hosting? So why do I have to buy a domain and hosting first? I want to build a website, why do I have to order a domain and hosting? What is the relationship between domain and hosting? Hmm… For beginners, maybe this question often arises. Understanding domains on the Internet is quite complicated, making some ordinary people feel confused. Then, what exactly is a domain? Is there a domain meaning that is easy for ordinary people to understand? In the following, we will discuss the meaning of domains and some things related to domains and hosting. Come on, read more!
The definition of domain according to Wikipedia is a unique name that is given to identify the name of a computer server such as a web server or email server on a computer network or the internet. A domain is a name. Yes, a domain is a unique name which is the address of a website. Domains can consist of various kinds of domain extensions such as .com, .id, .co.id, .net and many more.
While hosting is a medium for storing data in the form of writing, images, or videos which will later be packaged in a form that is often called a website. Now like housing, hosting is a piece of land that has been plotted with a certain size that will be used as a place to build a building. The building that was built was called the website. And the address of a website is usually called a domain. So, to create a website, you need a domain and hosting first.
- If you don’t own a domain and hosting, how can your website stand? Where should the website be placed?
- How can other people access your website?
- Do you want to be named what website do you create?
For that, make sure the domain and hosting you choose are of the best quality!
What is a Domain?
Okay, you already know the domain definition. Then, what exactly is a domain form? To put it simply, a domain consists of a domain name and a domain extension. Have you ever accessed a website with a specific address or URL? For example, www.froggyads.com. Now, these “froggyads” are domain names. Whereas (dot) COM is a domain extension.
Whereas domain extension is the suffix of the domain. There are various kinds of domain extensions to choose from. So there are 2 categories for domain extensions. First, there are TLD (international) domain extensions such as .com, .net, .org etc. Second, there is a domain ID extension which is a devoted domain, for example for the Indonesian region, for example, .id, .co.id, .or.id.
There are various domain extensions that you can choose from, from domain extensions that people commonly use or anti-mainstream domain extensions.
Popular Domain Extensions
The following are some of the commonly used domain extensions:
- .com: used for commercial purposes
- .org: used for organizational purposes
- .net: used for internet / network purposes
- .edu: used for educational purposes
- .info: used for information purposes
- .net: used for internet purposes
- .asia: used for domains in asia
- .edu: used for education
- .gov: used for government
- .id: used for domain names in Indonesia
- .sg: used for domain names in Singapore
- .us: used for domain names in the United States
- .au: used for domain names in Australia
- .ac.id: used for academic / higher education environments
- .co.id: used for commercial purposes
- .desa.id: used for village government sites
- .or.id: used for organizations
- .net.id: used for telecommunications service providers
- .web.id: used for individuals and organizations
- .sch.id: used for schools
- .go.id: used for government agencies
Antimainstream Domain Extensions
For those of you who want to be different, you can use several domains such as:
- .online: used for company websites, startup websites, personal profiles, and blogs
- .tech: used to build website developers, company profile websites, websites about products related to technology, course institution websites, websites about certain events or websites for innovation, and technology seminars
- .site: used to create a personal website or online business
- .press: used for news websites, newspaper websites, journalist websites, press association websites, mass media websites, organizational/institutional websites, journalistic websites, bloggers, and even photography websites.
- .store: used for online store websites, local business websites, e-commerce-related startups, retail websites, and websites related to online stores.
- .shop: used to create an online store, e-commerce
- .online: used for company websites, startup websites, profile websites, personal websites, and blogs
- .website: used for personal websites or blogs
Domain also has a domain level. There are 3 levels of domains, namely Top Level Domain, Second Level Domain, and Third Level Domain. This domain level is used to determine the level of the domain. Then froggyads including Second Level Domain. For Third Level Domain, is the word to the left of Second Level Domain. For example ad (dot) froggyads.com. Now “advertising” is usually called the Third Level Domain or so-called Subdomain.
What is Subdomain?
A subdomain is a sub or part or “child” of a domain. For example, you have a main domain with the name “mywebsite (dot) net”. Then want to divide the domain into several parts. For example:
- blog (dot) mywebsite (dot) net: for blogging purposes using WordPress
- project (dot) mywebsite(dot) net: for college projects using the Laravel framework
- shop (dot) mywebsite (dot) net: to create a small online shop with Prestashop CMS
Well, blog (dot) my website (dot) net, project (dot) my website (dot) net, and shop (dot) my website (dot) net are called subdomains. So, you are free to create separate websites for various needs. Still in one domain, and no need to order another domain.
I Just Want To Buy A Domain Only!
What if I just want to buy a domain without hosting? Is it possible? Still, you can!
It has been explained that the definition of a domain is an address that indicates the location of the website. You can still use a domain to do many things. But of course, you can’t create a website huh. There are several things you can do with just a domain. As:
Doing a Custom Domain
Who here still uses blogging platforms like Blogspot or Tumblr? Well, usually blogs with these platforms still use the name of the blog with an appendage behind it, such as * Blogspot (dot) com or * Tumblr (dot) com. Now, if your website still uses a blog address like that, it doesn’t feel professional, right? So, therefore it is necessary to do a custom domain!
What is a custom domain? Custom domain is using a domain to direct a blog address. For example, you have a blog address using (dot) Blogspot (dot) com or (dot) Tumblr (dot) com. To look professional, it is necessary to do a custom domain so that your blog, which used to be a blog name (dot) Blogspot (dot) com, can become a blog name (dot) com. You only need a domain, no hosting needed to make your blog look convincing and professional.
Create Your Company Email
Besides doing a custom domain, you can create a company email or email with your name, you know. Of course, according to the domain you have. It’s easier if you use a domain and hosting in one provider. Because you don’t need to use an external mail server. But if you only have a domain, you can create an email with the help of other mail servers such as Zoho Mail, and others.
Make Domain As Brand
A domain is not just an address that leads you to a website. But the domain can be used as a “brand” that can be sold in the community, you know. This domain can be used for self-branding or corporate branding. For example, you have a garment and convection business. Then, you buy a domain with the name cheapclothes (dot) id. Well, apart from being a website name, this domain can also be used as a brand for your business name. This of course has its advantages, you know. Besides being able to be used as a company brand name, you can introduce the product to the outside community.
And when they hear that name, the public will immediately think of your website, products sold, and your company. It’s very profitable, right? According to Eric Schmidt, Google’s chief executive, Brand is a solution, not a problem. Brand is how you sort waste so that it always rings and can always survive in society.
I Just Want To Buy Hosting Only!
What if I just want to buy hosting without a domain? Is it possible? Still, you can!
Yes, you can! However, you can only save or upload website files. You will not be able to access the website files. Why? Because you don’t have a website name. How can anyone access a website without a name? For that domain and hosting are very necessary to build a website.
In the explanation above, you already know what domains mean and what hosting means. Make sure you have a domain and hosting before creating a website. So that you can professionally create a website. There are many domain and hosting service providers both abroad and domestically that you can choose from. There are many things you need to check when choosing a foreign or domestic hosting provider. Make sure you choose cheap hosting with the best quality!
For your business to grow and increase the number of your customers, don’t forget to advertise through the Froggy Ads service, you can start by advertising your products so that later you can increase visitors on your online business portal. Froggy Ads is an online advertising service that can help you control all your product campaigns. helps you target your desired marketing target and gives you many options to market your product.