Understanding product packaging: type, purpose, and benefits for business
Basically, product packaging is one of the very important and inseparable things from the marketing and distribution process on a product. Then, what exactly does the product packaging? And what are the purposes, benefits, and types of packaging?
Well, in this article we will answer the question clearly and completely for you.
Understanding product packaging
The definition of product packaging in general is a container or wrapper that has a function to prevent or minimize damage to packaged products.
Meanwhile, there are also those who say that the definition of product packaging is a product wrapping material that has a function to accommodate, protect, identify, and promote products.
In this case, the packaging function is not only useful for protecting products, but also serves as a marketing tool and also builds brand identity and increase sales.
So, what does product packaging mean?
Packaging has the meaning of a system that has been coordinated in terms of preparing goods to be distributed, warehousing, logistics, end users and sales. That is, packaging is a form of activity to provide a container or wrapping of a product.
In the process of implementation, there are protecting activities, preserving, transporting, providing information and selling a product.
For this reason, the main purpose of providing packaging on products is to protect and also prevent damage to the products sold. In addition, packaging is also useful as a means of information and good marketing by creating a creative packaging design, so it will look more attractive and easy to remember by consumers or customers.
Understanding product packaging according to experts
- Philip Kotler and Gary Amstrong
Kotler and Armstrong argue that the definition of product packaging is one of the activities that includes design and product, so that the packaging that is on the product can function properly and the products in it can be protected.
- D. Rodriguez.
Rodriguez explained that the meaning of product packaging is a container that is able to change the conditions of food with the addition of active compounds, so as to prolong life.
- Indonesia Dictionary
Reporting from a large Indonesian or KBBI dictionary, the definition of product packaging is a protective wrap that is on a product of goods derived from the results of packaging activity.
Product packaging function
1. Protective packaging function
The protective function in this case functions as a protective or product security of various things that can damage products such as weather, shipping processes, etc. Packaging that protects products can prevent or minimize the damage and risk of smallpox capable of harming buyers or sellers.
2. Promotional functional packaging function
As explained earlier, packaging also functions as a tool for promotion or marketing. It can be done by making an interesting packaging form.
On the other hand, in general the packaging function is as follows:
- Self-service; Product packaging can affirm the characteristics of a product that is sold, so that each product will have a different packaging form.
- Consumer affluence; Attractive product packaging is proven to affect consumer interest to buy at a more expensive price.
- Company and Brand Image; Product packaging is a company brand image, so it can be used as a company’s identity to be better known by the community.
- Innovation Opportunity; Innovative product packaging is able to provide benefits for consumers and able to benefit the company.
Benefits of product packaging and its purpose
- Physical Production; Making a product packaging has a purpose to protect products from climate, vibration, shock, pressure, and other factors that can damage the product.
- Barrier Protection; In this case, product packaging installation aims to protect the product from oxygen, steam, water, dust, etc.
- Containment of Agglomeration; Packaging also aims to group products, so the handling and distribution process will become more efficient.
- Information transmission; In packaging is also usually listed how to use transportation, recycling, or how to dispose of the packaging.
- Reducing theft; Provision of product packaging is also aimed at preventing theft by seeing physical damage in the packaging.
- Convenience; Packaging is one feature that can increase comfort, distribution, handling, sales, display, opening, cover, use, etc.
- Marketing; Interesting designs and labels on packaging can be used by marketers to increase the buyer’s interest of consumers.
Product type packaging
There are at least three categories in product packaging, namely:
1. Based on the content structure
This type of packaging based on this content structure is divided into three main types, namely:
- Primary packaging: understanding of primary product packaging is a material processed into a direct container for food ingredients, such as milk cans, drink bottles, etc.
- Secondary packaging: Understanding Secondary product packaging is a container that has a function in terms of providing protection in other packaging groups, such as cardboard boxes, wooden crate boxes, etc.
- Tertiary Packaging: Understanding Tertiary Product Packaging is a packaging that can be used to protect the product during the shipping process.
2. Based on the usage frequency
The type of product packaging based on the frequency of its use is divided into several types, namely:
- Disposable packaging: Definition of disposable product packaging is the packaging that is only used in one time using and immediately discarded, such as plastic packaging, banana leaf packaging, etc.
- Multi Trip packaging; The definition of multi-trip product packaging is a product packaging that can be used many times by consumers and can be returned back on the sales agent to be reused, such as gallons of drinking water, glass bottles sauce, etc.
- Semi disposable packaging; The definition of packaging of semi-disposable products is the packaging that is not discarded because it can be used again by consumers, the simpler example is a can of biscuits or syrup glass bottles.
3. Based on the level of readiness to use
Based on the level of readiness of its use, the product packaging is divided into two, namely:
- Packaging ready to use; Understanding the packaging of ready-made products is the packaging of products that are ready to be filled and their form is perfect since it was first produced, such as bottles, cans, etc.
- Packaging is ready to be assembled; The definition of packaging product packaging is a product packaging that requires re-assembly before filling with the product, for example is plastic, paper pack, aluminum foil, etc.
Tips for making interesting packaging
1. Make a unique packaging design
One of the most important things in forming packaging is that you have to design the packaging more uniquely, innovatively, and also different from other products. By making unique packaging, the interest of the community to buy your product will increase.
Simply put example if you shop at the supermarket and see a row of packaging products box in one rack, then you see there is one package that is round. You can be sure you will be curious about the contents in it.
2. Packaging design according to the target market
Try to design product packaging according to the target market. So, if your target market is those who are only 5-12 years old, then try to make product packaging added with characters or cartoon images that are favored by children, or you can form the packaging like toys.
The same thing is certainly you can’t do if your target market is those who are 30-50 years old.
3. Make packaging with several sizes
If the product you sell is a product that is relatively new, then try to make product packaging in various size variations, such as small, medium or large. The community will be more likely to buy smaller packaging in buying new products.
4. Complete product information
Also try to include product information on each packaging. Like the composition of the product, type, how to consume, until the expiration date. Make clear, solid and short information.
Based on the explanation above, we can draw conclusion that the definition of product packaging is a item wrapping material that has a function to explain, protect, accommodate, identify, display, promote, and also keep the product clean.
While packaging is a system that is made in detail to be able to prepare goods or products that can be channeled, sold, stored, and also used by consumers in good conditions.
Well, that’s the definition of packaging products in full and benefits, goals, and tips in making interesting product packaging. It must always be remembered that the product packaging is the company’s identity, although there will be packaging updates, it is good to not be too different from the previous packaging.
In order for your business to grow and increase the number of customers you don’t forget to advertise through the Froggy Ads service, you can start by advertising your product, so that later you can increase visitors on your online business portal. FROGGY ADS is an online advertising service that can help you control all your product campaigns. Helps you target the targeting target you want and give you many choices to market your product.