Online Reputation Management: Definition, Function, Tips for Building, Maintaining and Examples
Online reputation management is very important for business today, especially where the internet is a need for many people. Imagine this, before you step out of the house, you are the same as other people who always pay attention to attractive, neat and fresh Tampila right? Many people always wonder about how we show us in public.
Likewise, many businessmen wonder how big brands bring themselves in the real world? What impresses do people have about him? Are they happy or dissatisfied? Even when you read this article, you might have several other tabs with similar guidelines that you might make reference.
Therefore, to ensure that your business has an interesting, neat, and sharp factor to get people back to your business, trust the brand, and feel positive, you must focus on managing your online reputation.
So, let’s start knowing what is meant by online reputation management or online reputation management.
What is online reputation management?
Online Management Reputation or online reputation management refers to the practice of managing perceptions that arise when someone, brand, or company sought on the internet.
There are two components for this definition:
- Public perception: refers to the ideas of each brand or company that is widely widespread. This public perception is divided into positive public perceptions and negative public perceptions.
- Manage perceptions: This is nothing but management. Able to manage online reputation means resolving negative public perceptions and encouraging positive public perceptions.
Simply put, online reputation management is also called ‘rep. Management ‘or’ ORM ‘, focuses mainly on monitoring brand reputation through the internet.
Online Reputation Management Function
3 main objectives of online reputation management such as the Gold ORM triangle. This goal basically conveys what ORM wants to do:
Improve brand reputation online
The first and important goal is to improve the brand’s reputation on the internet. Initially, when a brand entered the online world, he might not focus on improving his brand’s reputation. But in the end, brand reputation is formed, both profitable and not. Therefore, the main objective of the Online Management Reputation is to improve this applicable brand image.
Improve a positive online brand reputation
The second objective of online reputation management is aiming to improve the reputation of a positive brand. The aim here is to fill online with positive information as much as possible. This goal can be fulfilled through feedback forms, review questionnaires, after-sales services, and public relations strategies, and more.
Handle negative comments
The very important third target of online reputation management is handling negative comments. Even though this is registered as the last destination, this can repair or destroy your business reputation.
Why can it happen?
Negative comments like whirlwind. If the wind whirlpool is handled with calm and sharpness, it can be tamed, if the whirlpool is not handled properly, it can turn into a destructive wild storm. And the internet is also a wild space with anyone who can do the interaction.
Why is the Online Reputation Management?
81% Buyers do research online before buying. This research includes a company review, product review, as well as real customer feedback.
What is needed is just a review, one comment, one tweet, to form your brand’s reputation on the internet. This will be a paradise for businesses that ignore their public perceptions.
In addition, here are some reasons why you should start managing your online reputation directly:
Creating a good first impression
The internet is the first room visited by people when looking for solutions to their problems. Therefore, it is important to manage what people see and hear people about a brand when they use them.
At the stage ‘first impression’ is you can get loyal customers or lose customers from your competitors.
For example, in 2017, United Airlines officers had to force passengers from flight 3411 who flew to Louisville because the flight was full. As a result of viral videos about deleted passengers, the airline loses around $ 950 million on the stock market.
This incident does not only cause massive cancellations from old customers but also damage the brand image in front of many prospective customers and new customers. They will now never fly with United Airlines even without having experience at all.
Getting customer trust is half of the struggle that is won for any brand. Whether it’s an individual seller or B2B client, the internet is a room for everyone to speak if they are happy with a service or if not.
Unsensed voice will spread faster than a satisfied voice. So what is the solution?
This is where Online Management Reputation enters. This is very important because it helps build your brand credibility. ORM is important because it shows the world that you are connected with them and you care about what they think.
Increase Seo’s ranking
Customer reviews and online reputation make a big impact on SEO.
The search engine algorithm was developed to understand that consumers are very concerned with online reviews when making a decision.
Imagine if a post that is not satisfied about a business gets a ranking in search engine results higher than positive posts. Such business is likely to experience a decrease in visited traffic. Therefore, your business needs to make the best effort to manage online reputation.
Help separate (or connect) reputation of individuals and brands
Public perception about the reputation of stakeholders has a halo effect on brand perception as well.
For example, if one member of the management is imprisoned for wrong acts, the brand will be affected in adversely. This is where reputation management comes to save.
Another reason why an important ORM is because ORM pushes the application to job openings. Each candidate is currently conducting an intensive online study before applying to the company. When potential potential is looking for your company, poor reputation management will encourage him away.
Therefore, managing your online reputation is important to get customers and prospective customers, both on your side.
How to build an online reputation
Although every company has its strategy to build its reputation online, here are six broad steps that can be followed:
1. Plan what aspects you will monitor
Before you build and manage your online reputation, make a list of what you want to manage. This can be –
- Overall company brand image.
- Reviews of the company offer
- Famous employee and stakeholder profiles
- Social media profile
- Frequently Searched Industrial Keywords
- Reputation of competitors
2. Assess the current situation
The most basic step to build your online reputation and manage it is to understand your current position.
The easiest way, but the most effective to do this is to googling your company name. After doing so, check the review site, blog site (such as Quora), etc. Try the best to record every corner and angle wherever your brand name appears.
You can even use Google Alerts to receive emails every time your brand is mentioned on the web.
After you have important data about what the internet is said about you, as describing the data into positive, negative, and neutral data.
3. Develop a strategy to build a brand reputation
Now you have data about your current status on the internet. Next is to reevaluate your goals and develop strategies that use data collected to achieve your goals.
The strategy might include –
- Partnering with influencers (or even curators): Often brands use influencers and curators with high followers to build a profitable online reputation.
- Partnering with other brands: Partnering with a brand with a good online reputation is considered a good ORM strategy for the brand new starting. New brands may have a good idea, but customers are usually hesitant to trust new brands. If a brand with a well-established name supports others, it might soon develop trust among customers. For consumers, it’s like getting recommendations from trusted friends.
- Developing a Loyal Customer Community: Many brands utilize loyal customers to conduct online reputation management that works for them. They make groups and hold competitions and gifts to encourage loyal customers to promote brands through the web.
- Create inbound marketing strategies and content marketing: to instill inbound marketing strategies involve the use of data from what customers look for on the Internet:
- Before buying
- During the purchase
- After purchase
- After being analyzed, a content marketing strategy appears. Below, you will create content that uses keywords, phrases, and sentences that are in accordance with the data you collect in the previous step.
- Draft Critic Management Strategy: No matter how good a brand, there are always some not satisfied customers. Managing online reputation often involves the development of criticism management strategies to maintain customer satisfaction. This means creating a structure to respond to criticism. For example:
- Start with a soothing and positive response, like thank you
- Continue the address of the consumer request and accept your mistake
- Then give a practical solution for consumers
Tips for managing better online reputation
After you understand where your online reputation and what is said about you, your next step is to manage an online reputation.
Online Management Reputation can be seen as a step-by-step process. However, this does not mean that after you do these steps, the online reputation of your brand will always be good. You must be actively involved in these steps repeatedly:
1. Be transparent
Be transparent to your consumers and employees. Transparency is not a good word for use around your brand, this is a strategy that must be applied to all aspects of your business.
If today your popularity is increasing because you hide certain aspects of your business, remember that it will be revealed someday. No one remains hidden forever. Therefore, to manage your online reputation, you must ensure that when responding to your online reviews is transparent about your process.
2. Monitor search results related to you and your offer
This is especially important to monitor what aspects of people are looking for for brands.
Brands often start by monitoring search results, but stops so their reputation changes positively. This is the most dangerous thing to do. There is always a risk of losing a reputation because you failed to manage it. There is also a risk of your negative public perception increases and defeats your positive perception.
In addition, many brands do not realize that this is not just a brand name traced by customers, but also offers. Niche Public Offering means dealing with prices, reviews, gifts, or discount coupons.
3. Manage reputation online carefully
Online reputation can be divided into two types of cycles:
- Virtuous Cycle.
- Vicious Cycle.
Virtuous Cycle or kindness cycle is about brands that receive positive content, appreciate it, and promote more positive content through engagement techniques.
Vicious Cycle on the other hand is a vicious circle involving what we call ‘online reputation bombs’. These include:
- Negative reviews – Website reviews and forums such as Google, Yelp, Yellowpages, Reddit, Quora, etc. Provide information about the audience’s opinion about you. Are people interested in your product? Do they criticize it? All unresolved criticism here is a time bomb.
- Hatred sites – people may try hard to make content and put them on all websites that aim to promote negative feedback for certain brands. These include statements such as: “The truth behind the XYZ brand”, “the XYZ brand cheats me, and will cheat you too”, “XYZ brand is a scam”. You definitely understand whether the content on this website is too extreme and must be investigated officially? Or can you track the creator and try to ask what the problem is?
- Negative media coverage – marketers often conduct publicity containing good news. This might apply when everyone does not have access to the internet. In the present where everyone and everyone can tweet rough input about your brand, this does not apply. Whether it’s TV, print, or online media coverage if negative pitching needs to be solved with good surveillance management.
4. Respond to criticism
It’s easy to respond to a pleasant and satisfying message. Stay in the real world, it is not possible every time it goes fine, there will always be a negative criticism and message. The key to responding to negative messages is:
Don’t reply personally
Always remember that no users try to attack you. Although in rare cases, people may attack someone through the brand, it is important for you to keep the image calm and not put everything in your heart is important.
Be professional, respond to negative comments by remembering that you defend your products / services and not yourself.
Be sure to respond to negative comments
All negative answers need to be responded to. If someone conveys a negative experience, then try to solve it by providing clarity and resolution.
Angry users will calm down only if you respond, listen, and offer solutions. Remember to make sure you do all three. If you respond without considering their point of view, maybe a case like this –
Customer: “I found cockroaches in your donut, please fix your health standards or leave it!”
Reply 1: “We appreciate your attention.”
Reply 2: “Please forgive this error, come again and we promise not to disappoint you.”
In any case, within a few hours, your brand will explode. In case 1 you respond without listening and providing a solution. In the second case, you provide a solution that is back to visit, but you don’t listen.
The right response is to apologize and mention that your outlet will be closed for several hours and conducting strict health checks and insect destruction processes.
Good example online reputation management
Nike has created a separate Twitter account that focuses on answering customer questions called @Teamnike. In this way people don’t mark ‘Nike; When they have problems with brands or products, people tend to tag ‘Teamnike’. In this way Nike can narrow out who talks to them and focuses on them.
The important thing here is that Nike shows its dedication to its customers. They intelligently separate their brand name ‘Nike’ to ‘Teamnike “to show that they have a page and a special team to listen to all consumers.
The Xbox holds the Guinness world record for “the most responsive brands on Twitter”.
Their business hours are 6am – 12 in Monday to Sunday. This shows that even though you continue to monitor and engage with your customers, maintain a reasonable attitude of professionalism.
Customer support teams quickly respond, funny, and engage with customers. They try our best to solve every problem together by continuing to update fans with all releases, technology, and the latest games.
Examples of poor online reputation management
Now after you have an idea of all the right steps to do an online reputation management, let’s look at the example of some brands that do it wrong:
The worst response that might be included in your ORM strategy is to provide a general and unhelpful response.
Unfortunately, this is what American Airlines did in a very long time. The conclusion here is don’t give a response that doesn’t help. Remember three gold rules in Online Reputation Management – Responding, Listen, and Offer Solutions.
Great lessons that can be taken from nestle’s example are:
‘Do not be arrogant.’
People who provide unsatisfactory reviews don’t want to start an extraordinary intellectual debate. You don’t need to hold fast to the idea that ‘customers are always right’, but you don’t treat your page as a page that also negates negative reviews.
Here, Nestle should not debate customers for the reviews he gave, especially using non-polite and arrogant tones.
That is a complete discussion of online reputation management. Building a reputation in the online world is important, especially now where many business owners do marketing using social media and the internet.
With some of the tips above, you can easily make a business online reputation to be better or maybe improve the reputation of your previous brands that are bad.
In order for your business to grow and increase the number of customers you don’t forget to advertise through the Froggy Ads service, you can start by advertising your product, so that later you can improve visitors in your online business portal. FROGGY ADS is an online advertising service that can help you control all your product campaigns. Helps you target the targeting target you want and give you many choices to market your product.