Complete Affiliate Marketing Guide
The lure of affiliate marketing is quite high; who doesn’t want to have passive income? But to get that passive income, you must first do some work. To be successful in affiliate marketing, there are several important steps you must take before you get that first affiliate advantage. The good news is if you are determined to do this job and are willing to put in the time and effort, you are already on your way to affiliate marketing success.
In this article, we will discuss how affiliate marketing is, how it works and why you should consider doing affiliate marketing, and how to get started. Want to know more? Come on, continue reading the article.
What Is Affiliate Marketing?
Actually, without us knowing it, we’ve all participated in affiliate marketing activities. For example, when you refer your friend to use Uber, you will get a promo or discount code, right? This is a form of affiliate marketing.
The most visible form of affiliate marketing is when you open a blog. For example, you want to buy a DSLR camera but you cannot determine what brand and model you want to buy. What will you do? Most people will go to Google and search for keywords like “Best DSLR Camera”. You may read a blog or watch a video that appears in search results. Usually, bloggers and YouTubers will provide a link to visit the product purchase page. Without you knowing it, this link is an affiliate link. If you make a transaction via this link, the blogger and YouTuber will get a commission from the sale.
Simply put, affiliate marketing is a process where you promote other people’s products and earn a commission.
How Affiliate Marketing Works
As already mentioned above, most of the reviews contained in blog or video content are written or created by an affiliate marketer. When you click on one of the links to buy an item, the seller will mark the link and pay the reviewer a commission. So a few percent of the sales will be paid to the affiliate marketer.
Why Affiliate Marketing?
There are several reasons why you might consider trying affiliate marketing:
Can be a passive income
With affiliate marketing, you only need to work once – that is, put a link on your website – and you earn money every time someone makes a transaction through that link. This is also known as passive income.
This is of course different from the concept of working in general where you work from 9 to 5 and you will get paid according to your working hours. With affiliate marketing, you can get income or income at any time without working much.
It doesn’t cost a fortune to start
If you are interested in getting into affiliate marketing, you don’t have to worry about costs because you don’t need a lot of money to get started. You can start your website or blog and monetize it with affiliate marketing. All you need to do is create your website and sign up for the affiliate program. These affiliate programs which are widely available on the internet are also free. So, to get started you only need to pay for the best domain and hosting for your website.
For content, you have to make sure that your content is quality content. If you are just starting on your website, chances are, you will be writing your blog or website content. That way you don’t have to pay people to write content for your website or buy content from freelance writers.
Flexible working hours
When you are just starting in affiliate marketing, it is impossible for you to really give up your job and only rely on affiliate marketing as the main income. Of course, it takes time before you can make affiliate marketing your main income. But if you can make good use of affiliate marketing, of course, you can work for yourself and have flexible working hours.
You can learn new skills
To get started with affiliate marketing, you don’t need to be a marketing expert. By doing affiliate marketing, you can learn as you do it. Besides, there are several ways to run and manage affiliate marketing programs. You can try these different methods and see for yourself which one works for you. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could learn a new skill while earning a living?
How to Start Affiliate Marketing?
So, how? Are you already interested in starting affiliate marketing? Come on, follow the steps below to start your affiliate marketing program.
Choose Your Niche
A niche is a specific market that you want to target. A niche can also be thought of as a group of people who you feel will be interested in the goods you are promoting.
By determining a niche, you can then determine the topic of your website and what affiliate products you will sell. You can start by choosing a niche that suits your passions and hobbies. That way, you already have knowledge and experience in this field and can create content that has value. Besides, if you like the field, you will also be more excited to live it. You also don’t have to be an expert, but the important thing is that you can get started easier.
In affiliate marketing, your main focus is marketing. As long as you know how to market these products to visitors and readers of your blog or website, through the content that you create and release, you will still be able to make money.
If you are confused about how to determine your niche, here are some questions you can try to answer to help you find your niche:
1. What topics do you like best? It will be easier if you choose a topic you like and already have some more knowledge. That way, you can create content that has more value.
2. Are you able to make money from this niche? Of course, you also need to consider whether you can make more money from the niche you choose.
3. What topics would interest me in writing 25-100 blog posts? Content is one way that can support affiliate marketing. Therefore, you need to choose a topic that you like so that you don’t get bored of creating content around that topic. You also need to create enough content so that you can be considered an authority on the topic. That way, you can convince other people to buy the products that you discuss on your blog.
4. Is there an affiliate program available for this niche? This is certainly one of the most important things you should think about. You may have thought about what niche topic you want to write on your website but you also have to find out first if the niche has affiliate programs. Without an affiliate program, you won’t be able to do anything.
Research existing affiliate marketing programs
Once you find a niche to focus on, now you have to look for programs and products that are available. Choosing an affiliate program does take time, but don’t be afraid to take the time to do some deeper research as this will be where your income comes from. Choose a program that will help you a lot.
Here are a few things that can guide you in choosing the right affiliate program:
• Who are the users of the affiliate marketing program? With this, you can measure whether this affiliate program is profitable.
• How much commission will you possibly get from this product? Make sure that you enroll in a profitable program.
• Do you want to be associated with these products and services? Make sure that the products and services you are promoting are relevant to your audience. This point will be discussed further after this.
• What support does this affiliate program provide? First, check whether the affiliate program provides support. Because maybe one day, you will need support from their customer service.
One of the well-known e-commerce affiliate programs is the affiliate program from Amazon. In Indonesia alone, you can join the affiliate program from Lazada and Zalora.
Research on Affiliate Products
In this step, you have to find any affiliate products that can catch the attention of your niche. You can’t just promote all the stuff you like. Promoting relevant products is the key to achieving high conversion value. The more relevant the products you offer to your niche, the higher the chances that they will buy from the link that you place on your website.
Create a website or landing page
A website is the main thing you need to get started with affiliate marketing. Building a website or landing page nowadays has become easier, all because of current technology. You don’t need any coding skills to create your website. Now, with the help of a site builder like Strikingly, you can easily build a website.
Make a plan
As with anything, you need to make a plan. For affiliate marketing, there are two things that you must prepare, namely time and strategy. Most people start affiliate marketing as a side activity so you need to have good time management between your main job and your affiliate marketing endeavors. You can do affiliate marketing by setting aside 2-4 hours per day.
For the strategy, you can start with content marketing. You need to create content regularly. Therefore, you should try to plan how many posts you want to do in a week. Once you start, you will have a deeper understanding of what to prepare and what to plan for.
Some of the types of content that you can create for your website are:
• Product reviews. One of the most widely used models in affiliate marketing is writing a review about a product or service. This is one of the most used and proven content models that can help generate affiliate marketing revenue.
• Blog posts that discuss issues, questions, or issues that are frequently asked and relevant to your target audience. As mentioned above, creating content is one of the most effective ways to create consistent posts on a website. When you create a blog post, it’s a good idea to do some keyword research to see what your audience wants and search online. You can also look at competitors, forums, and social media to see what topics are being discussed a lot. For example, Dewaweb’s blog itself covers many topics related to online business, digital marketing, and web development.
Once you’ve chosen a niche and what products you want to promote, you need to get traffic to your website – either to the landing page you’ve prepared or the review post where the affiliate link is placed. There are many ways you can increase website traffic. Overall, there are two ways you can do this, namely with free traffic or paid traffic. Free traffic is your website visitors who come from Google Search and paid traffic is website visitors who come from advertisements.
The following are some of the ways you can help promote your blog or website:
• Promote your content through social media. One of the easiest and most widely used ways is to use social media to build an audience. Depending on your niche and industry, you can choose between Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and several other social media niches. Building a following on social media with high engagement is one way that can guarantee high traffic to your website.
• Using email marketing. An email list is one of the most important things an affiliate marketer must-have.
Promote Your Affiliate Link
Once you have demonstrated that you can offer something for your niche, you should start promoting the affiliate links you have. There are several ways you can promote your affiliate link.
• Product reviews. Write an honest review about a product. That way, you also build the trust of your blog or website readers. Don’t just write positive things about the product. If you find something you can fix, why not write it down in the post? Also, use an attractive image to attract attention. From this review, you can then put an affiliate link at the end of the post. That way, the audience who wants to buy the product can buy directly using the affiliate link that you provide.
• Banner ads. You can also put a banner on your website to promote your affiliate link. Usually, affiliate programs will provide a banner for you so you only need to place the banner on your website page that has high traffic.
• External link to content. This is one of the most widely used ways by bloggers to put affiliate links in their articles. Sometimes you will see blog authors put links on certain words related to the product or service. If you click on the link and make a transaction, the blog owner will get a commission. Inserting links to content is one of the less promotional ways.
Once you have done all this, you can start doing affiliate marketing. As long as you can offer relevant products to your website visitors and get high website traffic, you will get income from affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is one way that can help you earn extra income outside of your main job. One of the things that must be considered in doing affiliate marketing is that you must be consistent and focused. Affiliate Marketing is my favorite way to make money online. Don’t worry, affiliate marketing is not going to go away and stop anytime soon. E-commerce is growing at a fast pace and exceeding predictions. It is estimated that e-commerce sales will skyrocket to more than 4 trillion in 2021. The more e-commerce grows, the more affiliate marketing will grow. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with you starting affiliate marketing on your website. Hope this article helps!
For your business to grow, don’t forget to advertise through the Froggy Ads service, you can start by advertising your products so that later you can increase visitors on your online business portal. Froggy Ads is an online advertising service that can help you control all your product campaigns. helps you target your desired marketing target and provides you with multiple options for marketing your product.