Complete Affiliate Business Guide For Beginners and Tips
Affiliate marketing or affiliate business has been done a lot by solo entrepreneurs, bloggers, and content creators. This business sounds interesting because you can get money from the internet. However, don’t do it without a good plan.
In this article, we will provide a brief explanation of the basics of the affiliate business along with how to get started.
What Is Affiliate Marketing
Simply put, affiliate business is a method of getting money from the internet by offering a product, service, website, or business and earning a commission when successfully selling the product.
One common example of an affiliate business is the use of referral links. As a publisher or affiliate, you place these links on your blog or website to direct visitors to other websites that provide products or services. If a visitor makes a purchase, you will get a commission.
Apart from referral links, another way to run an affiliate business is by asking visitors to create and register accounts, fill out forms, or add email addresses. Generally, you will use specific links to offer affiliate products or services.
The amount of commission depends on the affiliate program itself. Some affiliate programs promise a percentage of sales, while others charge a fixed amount of commission for each conversion.
There are a variety of ways to track conversions. Some users use a unique code to determine the origin of the conversion, while others use a special “coupon code”.
Example of Affiliate Business
Now you know what affiliate marketing is. Then, how does it work?
Here are two examples of how to affiliate:
Using Ads and Banners for Promotion
This example is the easiest way to promote affiliate business products. If you have a personal blog or website, then you can promote affiliate products using advertising banners.
Visitors who are interested in the advertised product/service will click on the banner. After that, they will be directed to the seller’s website page to make a purchase. If the buying and selling process is successful, you will get a commission.
Include or Add Links to Content
Another method of promoting a product or service is by adding a link to the content. This method is effective to use, especially if you are a blogger or content creator.
You can also include a product link in the relevant article. Or you create content on a specific topic, then enter an affiliate product link that is useful for readers.
Know the Terms in Affiliate Business
Before discussing any further about affiliate business, there are a few terms that you should know.
If you intend to run an affiliate business, then you also need to know the terms in it so you don’t get confused. Here are some important terms:
Affiliates are people who work with companies or affiliate program providers to promote products, services, or even introduce brands to their site visitors.
Affiliates come from various circles and communities but are generally done by bloggers, website content creators, or creators related to the merchant industry.
An affiliate will write or create content related to products or services provided by the affiliate maker, place banner ads or banner ads on their site, or provide coupon codes.
Compared to other businesses, affiliate programs provide a higher ROI (profit or profit) to merchants or those who sell goods and services because the business is performance-based. This means that they will only pay affiliate commissions when a purchase is successful and will not pay for site visitors simply browsing.
If multiple affiliates get billed for the same transaction, the payments will fall apart. There may be cases where an affiliate claims a commission for a customer or customer who came from another affiliate at the last minute.
A good affiliate program will offer multi-channel attribution to ensure that the affiliate with the most transaction results will receive the most payouts.
Several types of payment methods commonly used by merchants are:
• CPS (Cost Per Sale) – You will receive a commission per sale or a percentage of the value of the product or service.
• CPL (Cost Per Lead) – You will receive payment for each lead that is validated and completed.
• CPC (Cost Per Click) – You will receive payment for driving traffic to websites that provide products and services via ad click.
• CPA (Cost Per Action) – You will receive payment when the user completes the request that you advertise (filling out a form or survey)
Most of the affiliate programs are managed and regulated through an affiliate network. Affiliate networks are very useful because they provide a centralized database containing a list of affiliate program providers so that it is easier for affiliates to find opportunities.
Affiliate networks also facilitate product and service providers (merchants) who wish to use publisher services (affiliates). Usually, merchants provide various tools for the smooth running of the affiliate business, such as payments, refunds, tracking, reports, and affiliate management.
Some of the most popular affiliate networks you can join are, ShareASale’s, Clickbank, CJ, and even Amazon. If you prefer an individual affiliate program, companies like Hostinger offer an affiliate program that you can join.
Affiliate Business Pros and Cons
Just like any other marketing program, this business has various advantages and disadvantages.
Even though the affiliate program looks tempting, especially to bloggers or entrepreneurs, you should first need to know the advantages and disadvantages before deciding to join.
Pros of Affiliate Business
Know some of the advantages of affiliate business if you want to:
• Low initial costs/low. Generally, you don’t have to pay to join an affiliate program. Most affiliated companies will handle the buying and selling of their products and services themselves. This means you don’t have to worry about the availability of goods.
• Ease of joining. There is almost no difficulty in joining an affiliate program even though some other programs have not easy procedures. You just need to fill out the form and start promoting the product.
• No need to deal with shipping or returning products. As an affiliate, your only focus is to promote the merchant’s brand, product, or service. Product delivery or return will be handled entirely by the merchant.
• No need to provide a product or service. Once again, your job as an affiliate is to direct website visitors to websites that provide products and services. Meanwhile, merchants will do it themselves because this is what needs to be considered if you want to have your online store.
• No special requirements. As long as you can promote your products and services, you don’t need to take any training or other courses. (However, if you want to create a website specifically for the affiliate program, we highly recommend taking online courses or related training!)
• Can make money 24/7. Just like any other online business, you can do this business anytime even while sleeping!
Disadvantages of Affiliate Business
This good business, of course, has some drawbacks. Some of them are:
• Building referrals takes time. For affiliates to make significant amounts of money, it will take time to create referrals.
• You must have internet marketing skills (internet marketing). No special training is indeed required to run an affiliate business. If you want this business to be successful, you must have the ability (or at least understand) to do marketing via the internet.
• There are advertising restrictions. Certain affiliate programs impose advertising restrictions, such as not allowing the use of email marketing or PPC advertising with certain keywords.
• There are payment terms. Some affiliate programs only pay a commission when you reach a set amount of sales or money.
The First Step As An Affiliate
You already know what affiliate marketing is and its advantages and disadvantages. The next question is, how do you make money as an affiliate marketer?
Compared to other online businesses, starting an affiliate business is relatively easy because you don’t have to do much. While it is advisable to have at least a blog or website, this advice is not mandatory.
To start an affiliate business, you must:
1. Determine a niche. The chances for affiliate success will be better if you focus on a specific topic.
2. Look for products and services related to your niche – research the reputation of the affiliate program as well as how the programmers treat their customers and affiliates.
3. Find out how to promote a product or service. Surely the easiest way is through a blog or website. However, you can use other methods, such as email lists, to promote affiliate products to your customers.
4. Or you can also use social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
5. Do your research and study various internet marketing strategies to find out how to effectively share website, or blog, or affiliate links.
6. Since you’ll be making money from home, try to find out what business licenses and laws apply to legalize your business.
For a beginner, starting an affiliate business can be tiring. However, just like any other business, you have to keep working hard if you want to be successful in this business.
Remember that it is important to stay steeped and have a broad knowledge of the niche you are in. If you like reading, creating a book blog can be one way. Or if you like playing computer games, then creating a gaming website (or even a server) can be a great starting point.
With this article, hopefully, you have an understanding of what affiliate marketing is and how to start a business. Finally, I hope you will become more proficient in the future!
For your business to grow, don’t forget to advertise through the Froggy Ads service, you can start by advertising your products so that later you can increase visitors on your online business portal. Froggy Ads is an online advertising service that can help you control all your product campaigns. helps you target your desired marketing target and provides you with multiple options for marketing your product.