A Look Inside the History of Litchfield County, Connecticut

That such an accomplishing is attended without little problem and vexation none will deny; the aged pioneer relates events of the early settlements, while his neighbor sketches a similar events with completely assorted outlines. Man’s memory is ever at fault, while Time paints a distinct image upon every mind. With these the historian has to contend; and while it’s been our aim to bring together an accurate historical past, were it devoid of all inaccuracies that perfection would were attained of which the writers had not the faintest notion, and which Lord Macaulay once said never could be reached. First Indications of Revolutionary Spirit in Litchfield — Letter of Aaron Burr — The First Company of Soldiers — Capt.

Bezaleel Beebe — The Bowling Green Statue of George III. Demolished — Carried to Litchfield — Converted into Cartridges — Continental Stores — Army Work shops — Prisoners of War — Arrest of David Matthews, Mayor of New York — Conveyed to Litchfield — Governor Franklin a Prisoner here — Visit of Count Rochambeau and Gen. Lafayette — Gen. Washington Visits the Village — Various Votes of the Town — Rev. Judah Champion’s Prayer — Resident British Soldiers — Incidents, etc. , etcThe Village of Litchfield — Incorporation — First Officers — Presidents and Clerks from 1818 to 1882 — Borough Organization — The Press — The Weekly Monitor and American Advertiser — The Witness — The Editors Convicted of Libel — Imprisoned — Political Excitement across Immediate and Distant States — Grand Oration to the Imprisoned Editor — Excitement in the Town — The Litchfield Gazette — The Litchfield Journal — The Litchfield Republican — The Miscellany — The American Eagle — The Litchfield County Post — The Litchfield Enquirer — The Litchfield Democrat — The Litchfield Sun — The Mercury — The Democratic Watchman — The Litchfield Republican — The Litchfield Sentinel — The Litchfield Law School — The Post Office — Banks — Savings Society — Insurance Company — “Spring Hill” — St.

Paul’s Lodge, No. 11, F. and A. M. — Minerals — Temperance in 1789 — Slavery in Litchfield — Bantam Falls — Northfield — Milton — Biographical Notes — College Graduates — Physicians — LawyersIncorporation of the Town — First Town Officers Elected — Representatives from 1740 1882 — Military HistoryCHAPTER XV. — Winchester.

Geographical — Topographical — List of Proprietors of Winchester — Allotment of Lands — Survey, etc. — Indian History — First Conveyance of Land — First Roads — The Pioneers — Their Locations — Incidents of Pioneer Life — Initial Events — Reminiscences of Mrs. Swift — The First Forge — The Pioneer Grist Mill — The First Saw Mill The Revolution — Names of Soldiers, etc. — Assessment Roll of 1783Pioneers in Winsted Society — Manufacturing Interests — The Winsted Bank — The Hurlbut Bank — The Hurlbut National Bank — The First National Bank — The Winsted National Bank — The Winsted Savings Bank — The Mechanics’ Savings Bank — St. Andrew Lodge, No.

64, F. and A. M. — Meridian Chapter — Tyrian Council — Orion and Unit Lodges, I. O.

See also  Emerse is GDPR compliant Emerse

of O. F. — Temperance Organizations — Palmer Post Knights of Pythias — Libraries — Early Schools — The Winsted Herald The Winsted Press — The “Winsted News — Post Office Difficulties — List of Old Inhabitants — The Borough of Clifton — The Borough of Winsted — Incorporation — First Officers Elected — Wardens from 1858 to 1881 — Burgesses from 1858 to 1881 — Clerks, Treasurers, and Bailiffs from 1858 to 1881 — Water Works — Fire Department, etc. — Population of Townfrom 1756 to 1880Geographical — Topographical — The First Grant — The Indian Purchase — The Survey — The First Settlements — The Pioneers — Petitions for “Winter Privileges” — Incidents — Prices of Provisions in 1747 — Ecclesiastical History — Congregational Church — Christ Church — Methodist Episcopal Church — Bethlehem Library Associations — Physicians — The “Great Sickness” of 1760 — Civil and Military History — Organization of Town — Officers Elected — Town Clerks — Selectmen from 1787 to 1881 — Representatives from 1787 to 1881 — Present 1881 Town Officers — Military RecordCongregational Church, Cornwall — Congregational Church, North Cornwall — Cornwall and Sharon Baptist Church — Baptist Church, Cornwall Hollow — Baptist Church, East Cornwall — Methodist Episcopal Church, Cornwall Bridge — Educational — The Foreign Mission School — Cream Hill Agricultural School — W. C. and Mies L.

Rogers’ School — Noah R, and E. Burton Hart’s School — Young Ladies’ Institute — The Alger Institute — Physicians — Cemeteries — Organization of Town — Representatives from 1761 to 1882 — Soldiers of the Revolution — Soldiers of the Rebellion, 1861 65Geographical — Topographical — The First Settlements — The Laying Out of the Town — New Bantam — Goshen — Troubles the Town and the Colony — The Mob — Committee of Investigation — Settlement of the Controversy — The First Grant and Survey — The Surveyor — The College Farm — Division of the Town into Rights — First Proprietors Meeting — The First Birth — The First Meeting House — The Pioneer Minister — The Pioneer Taverns — Location of Early Settlers — Pioneer Merchants — The First Saw and Grist Mill, etc. The Press — The New Milford Republican — The New Milford Journal — The Housatonic Ray — The New Milford Gazette — First National Bank — Savings Bank — Library — St. Peter’s Lodge, No. 21, F. and A.

M. — Ousatonic Chapter, No. 33, R. A. M.

— Good Shepherds’ Lodge, No. 65, I. O. O. F. — Fire Department — Adelphic Institute — Old Advertisements — The Tobacco Interest — Grand List, 1880 — Incorporation of Town — Representatives from 1725 to 1881 — Probate Judges from 1787 to 1881 — Military HistoryGeographical — Topographical — The Pioneers — Sale of the Town — First Proprietors’ Meeting — War of the Revolution — Names of Soldiers — Labor Regulations, 1778 — Pioneer Mills — Schools — The First Post Office — Ecclesiastical History — Congregational Church — Methodist Episcopal Church — Temperance Society — Civil History — Incorporation of the Town — List of Representatives from 1722 to 1881 — List of Physicians — College Graduates — Military History — Names of Soldiers — Soldiers’ MonumentOrganization — Topographical — The Indians — The First Exploration — The First Settlements — preliminary Events — The War of the Revolution — Ethan Allen — Col.

See also  Media Transparency: Prescriptions, Principles, and Processes for Marketers Overview ANA

Seth Warner — Capt. Remember Baker — War of 1812 — The Schools — Prominent Citizens — Physicians, etc. — Ecclesiastical History — Congregational Church — Episcopal Church — The Baptist Church — The Methodist Church — Civil and Military — Organization of Town — List of Representatives from 1797 to 1881 — Organization of Probate District — List of Judges — Military RecordGeographical — Topographical — Naming the Town — List of Proprietors — Grand List, 1733 — Division of Lots — The First Settlers and their Locations — Initial Events — First Deeds of Conveyance — The Indian Fort — The First School house — Pioneer Taverns — War of the Revolution — Proceedings of the Town — Names of Officers and Soldiers — Taxes During the Revolution — The Whipping post — A Prosecution for Profanity — Slavery — Organization of County Anti Slavery Society at Wolcottville — The Convention Routed by a Mob — “Nigger Pew” in Torrington and Torringford Churches — Emancipation of Slaves in Torrington — John BrownGeographical — Topographical — Judea and New Preston Societies — The First Settlements — Names of Pioneers — Organization of Judea Society — Ecclesiastical History — The Congregational Church, Washington — Congregational Church, New Preston — Congregational Church, New Preston Hill — St. John’s Church — St. Andrew’s Church — Rising Sun Lodge, No.

27, F. and A. M. — Physicians — Revolutionary Incident — Gunn’s Seminary — The Shepaug Railroad — Lake Weroamaug — Civil and Military History — Organization of the Town — The First Town Meeting — Officers Elected — Documentary History — List of Selectmen from 1786 to 1881 — List of Representatives — Probate Judges — Military RecordHome Lots — Rev. Z.

Walker’s House — Palisaded Houses — First School House — Second, or Stoddard Parsonage — First Meeting House — First Birth, Marriage, and Death — First Clothier — First Physician — First Blacksmith — First Divorce — Parson Stoddard Kills Two Indians Wood Creek Expedition — SlaveryCHAPTER LXXIV. — Woodbury ContinuedCharacter of Rev. Zechariah Walker — Rev. Anthony Stoddard Settled Rev. Noah Benedict Settled — Half Way Covenant Abolished, 1760 — Rev.

Samuel R. Andrew Settled — Remaining Pastors of the Church — Recapitulation — Strict Congregational Church — Rev, Grove L. Brownell Settled — Rev. John Churchill Settled — W. L. R.

Wychorf Settled — Episcopal Church — Methodist Church — Catholic ChurchFrench and Indian Wars — War of the Revolution — War Convention at Litchfield in. 1766 — Town Meetings in 1774 — Ronton Alarm — Committee of Observation — Capture of Ticonderoga and Crown Point by Woodbury Men — Woobury the Birthplace of Col. Ethan Allen, Co. Seth Warner, and Capt.