3 Types of Google Ads Most Frequently Used in Online Businesses
In running an online business, advertising is a necessity that you cannot avoid. There are lots of ad models that you can use, one of which is advertising on search engine platforms like Google with its Google Ads service. By advertising on Google, this means that your ad will appear when someone searches for certain keywords that you have specified.
There are many types of ads on Google Ads that you can use, but there are at least three types of ads that are most often used in online businesses, namely:
1. Branded Search
- Target: Identify searches about your brand by name.
- Relevance: High, because the audience is looking for your brand.
- Cost-Per-Click (CPC) Estimates: Low, between $ 0.25 to $ 3.00.
- ROAS (Return On Ad Spend) Expectations: High (3: 1 to 30: 1).
- KPI (Key Performance Indicator): Profitability, number of orders.
- Scalability: depends on the reliability of your brand, and how many people are looking for your brand.
- Suggested: All types of businesses regardless of industry and size, you should prioritize this type of advertising, because the traffic that comes from those who are specifically searching for your brand.
CPC from branded search is generally cheaper than other types of advertising. This is because your URLs and ads are very relevant for an audience that is deliberately searching for your brand. This type of advertising depends on the people who are looking for your brand, so you need to make marketing efforts that focus on brand awareness so that more people do a search related to your brand.
2. Non-Branded Search (Generic)
- Target: Generate traffic from an audience that originates from non-brand search, and get new customers by advertising to an audience that has the potential to buy your product but is not familiar with your brand.
- Relevance: Low to medium.
- CPC Estimation: Medium to High ($ 1 to $ 20)
- ROAS Expectations: Medium 0: 1 to 3: 1 depending on competition, product relevance, etc.
- KPI: Get new customers, sales, traffic, number of orders.
- Scalability: Depending on the search volume of the audience, and the type of terms used.
- Recommended: All brands that want to get new customers and increase sales.
This type of ad, as the name suggests, the keywords used don’t mention your brand. In other words, your keywords are more general and their level of relevance is lower than branded search, especially for more general keywords. Example “buy a smartphone” (very common) vs. “buy a smartphone 2 million” (more specifically).
The main purpose of this type of advertising is to get new visitors or consumers. This type of advertising can also generate positive ROAS and potentially generate large profits.
3. Competitor Search
- Target: Get new customers who may not know your product or brand. These are people who are looking for your competitor’s brand.
- Relevance: Low (the audience here is looking for your competitor’s brand, not yours)
- CPC: Medium to High ($ 1 to $ 20)
- ROAS Expectations: Medium (0: 1 to 3: 1, depending on the level of competition of the keywords used)
- KPI: Traffic, new customers, number of orders, ROI.
- Scalability: Depending on how big your competitor’s brand is, how many people are looking for it, and the marketing efforts of that brand in increasing brand awareness.
- Recommended: Brands have already run profitable advertisements and want to get new customers.
This type of advertising is the opposite of branded search. Instead of offering your brand name and product, you instead advertise on keywords that contain the brand names of your competitors.
Stealing traffic from your competitors does look like a smart strategy, but this method costs a lot of money, because in this case, your brand is not what your audience wants to see. This is why this strategy is used more by those who have adequate resources.
Thus the discussion of the three types of Google Ads that are most often used in online businesses. So that your business grows, don’t forget to advertise through the Froggy Ads service, you can start by advertising your product, so that later you can increase visitors on your online business portal. Froggy Ads is an online advertising service that can help you control all your product campaigns. helps you target the marketing target you want and gives you many choices for marketing your product.